Experienced Mississippi Insurance Dispute Attorneys Helping Families with Residential Property Claims
Helping Mississippi property owners get insurance compensation when accidents happen or natural disasters strike
Homes suffer damage for many reasons — fire, wind, hail, flooding, tornadoes, and other natural disasters. Pipes can freeze, heaters can malfunction, and lightning strikes. When insurance covers the natural disaster or accident that occurs, homeowners have a right to expect prompt payment for the full amount of damage. If personal property is stolen or damaged, homeowners and tenants who have property insurance should not have to wait for an unreasonable period to get paid.
At Gilbert McWherter Scott Bobbitt PLC, we represent Mississippi policyholders embroiled in insurance disputes over structural damage to their home. We bring claims for residents whose claims have been denied or when the insurance company is trying to stall. Partner Brandon McWherter understands insurance contracts, Mississippi insurance laws, and how the insurance industry does business. We negotiate fair settlements and litigate unfair offers. We work to get your home back to the way it looked and functioned before the damage and to get the full value of damaged or missing property.
Some of the more typical claims we handle
Most policyholder have enough stress dealing with the loss of their property; dealing with the insurance company itself beings additional challenges. You want to work with a seasoned Mississippi residential property claim lawyer for the following matters:
- Natural disasters (wind, hail, tornadoes, hurricanes, flood, etc.)
- Electrical failures
- Plumbing troubles
- Stolen property
- Any other event that causes property damage
In insurance claims, there is no requirement to prove fault. As long as the premiums were paid, the manner of the loss was covered in the policy, and the property was damaged because of an enunciated manner, then the homeowner or tenant has a valid claim.
Types of damage claims
At the Gilbert Firm, our lawyers work with contractors, appraisers, and other professionals to prove the exact amount of financial loss in the following matters:
- Physical damage. Insurance coverage should pay for the costs to repair any damage to the roof, sides, basement, brick, or any other structural components. The insurance proceeds should also pay for any need to rebuild the floors, stairways, rooms, lighting, plumbing, and any objects that generally stay with the home if it is ever sold.
- Damage to personal property. This includes damage to personal possessions that are typically movable. It includes beds, furniture, artwork, clothes, books, rugs, technical equipment, electronics, and many other valuables. It may also include some appliances, such as refrigerators and microwaves that are not “built-in” to the structure.
- Added living expenses. If the damage is too severe, the homeowner or tenant may be forced to find alternate living arrangements. These arrangements cost money and most insurance policies pay for them.
Defenses insurance companies use
Your Mississippi residential insurance dispute lawyer should anticipate the arguments insurance companies and defense lawyers make. We work to prepare the right documentation, the best evidence, and the most persuasive legal arguments to defeat these defenses. Common defense strategies include:
- Application of inappropriate exclusions
- Minimizing the scope of the loss
- Minimizing the value of the loss
- Delaying payment
- Raising defenses associated with the cause of the loss
Contact an experienced Mississippi insurance dispute attorney when your home or property in your residence is damaged or destroyed
At the Gilbert Firm, we understand how precious your home and possessions are. Your home is where your family is, where your memories are, where your life is. When accidents or disasters happen, you want to restore your life to normal. For help now, please phone 888-275-8182 or fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment.