Aggressive Legal Counsel for Tennessee Union Employees
Lawyers fighting to get union employees the jobs and benefits they deserve in Nashville, Chattanooga, Memphis, and Jackson and beyond
Workers are the lifeblood of the economy. Without hard-working employees, most businesses would fail. With workers, buildings rise, cities grow, and agriculture blossoms. Unfortunately, many employers try to take advantage of workers by failing to honor collective bargaining agreements, treating employees unfairly, and engaging in discrimination.
At Gilbert McWherter Scott Bobbitt PLC, our lawyers take pride in helping workers get the jobs they deserve and the benefits they have earned. Our firm represents workers, not employers. Our Tennessee union rights attorneys have proven experience bringing grievances and complaints against companies that fail to respect their employees. Our track record includes many cases where we have successfully obtained reinstatements for employees and payment of lost wages, overtime, pension payments, and other employee benefits. Speak to a Tennessee union rights attorney at the Gilbert Firm today. We are ready to help workers get back to work so they can continue making this nation the workshop of the world.
Common union disputes
Union disputes are handled differently than standard employee disputes. A Tennessee union rights lawyer needs to understand the applicable labor laws in addition to contract law. Our lawyers have experience in employee actions before the National Labor Relations Board, the Tennessee Department of Labor, arbitration panels, and state and federal courts. Some of the main dispute issues we handle involve:
- Collective Bargaining Agreements. Employees who are members of a union in Tennessee generally work pursuant to a collective bargaining agreement. In the private sector, employees who are not being paid, getting their benefits, or being treated unfairly need to follow the terms of the collective bargaining agreement to get justice. This usually means filing a grievance through the union with the employer. Most grievances are decided through an arbitration process rather than going to the local county or district court. Many public sector union employees follow the same process. Collective bargaining agreements can be with a single employer or with a range of employers across an industry sector.
- Discrimination Actions. Employers are not allowed to discriminate based on race, gender, national origin, religion, pregnancy, disability, or other protected statuses. Our Tennessee union rights lawyers file claims before the appropriate state and federal agencies and in state and federal court when employers discriminate. Several of the key discrimination laws our firm uses to get justice are:
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
- The Fair Employment and Housing Act
- The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967
- Retaliation. The National Labor Relation Act makes it illegal for an employer to retaliate against an employee for engaging in union activities. Other laws also allow employees to sue employers for retaliation. Our firm has extensive experience in holding employers liable for firing workers, creating a hostile environment for employees, or penalizing workers because they exercised their legal rights to bring a claim against the employer or participated in a claims process.
Key employee benefits
Some of the common benefit issues our Tennessee union rights attorneys handle for union employees include:
- Overtime pay
- Pension benefits
- Health, dental, and eye insurance
- Vacation pay
- Sick leave
- Working hours
- Health and safety issues
- The right to participate in the union
Strong representation for union employees across Tennessee
The Gilbert Firm fights for all employees including those who belong to, or are considering joining, a union. We represent employees in Nashville, Chattanooga, Memphis, Jackson, and across Tennessee. We hold the employer accountable to get you the right employment status and all the work benefits you deserve. To review your case with an experienced Tennessee union rights lawyer, please call 888.996.9731 or complete our contact form.